Thornlie Senior High School offers an exciting opportunity for students to explore their interest in instrumental/vocal music and performance by applying for selection into the Instrumental Music Program. We offer intensive training in all areas of music to the successful applicants, including studies in aural training, theory, arranging, song writing and music history. There is a strong emphasis on contemporary music and music industry related careers, such as sound/lighting, event management, performing, composing/arranging and recording.
Students have access to our custom-built Performing Arts Centre at the school for their performances as well as a piano keyboard lab, practice rooms and a variety of equipment and instruments that we provide for students to use in class time to enhance the teaching-learning program.
Student Selection and Application
- Willingness to participate in all facets of the program, including weekly lesson, weekly large ensemble rehearsals and musical performances as required.
- Enthusiasm and aptitude for music – students must complete a brief musical aptitude listening test.
- Ability to meet the requirements of the program
- Student must come out of timetabled classes to participate in lessons and should be able to commit to daily practice time on their instrument/voice, and be keeping a music practice journal
- Participate in a brief interview and audition with the music coordinator
- Sign the Instrumental Program Agreement Contract.