Vocational Education and Training (VET) in Schools program are delivered as part of a broad, general education that combines study towards the Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE) with a nationally recognised VET qualification within the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF).
Thornlie Senior High School is committed, through its administration and VET staff, to offer the best and most comprehensive range of subjects available. Thornlie Senior High School gained status as a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) in 2005. As a Registered RTO we are required to follow set policy and procedures which are listed below:
As an RTO, Thornlie SHS delivers National Competencies which are recognised by TAFE and industry. Competencies completed will attract TAFE exemption and gain selection points for TAFE entry.
Full qualifications are offered as follows by Thornlie SHS as a Registered Training Organisation:
- BSB20115 Certificate II in Business
- CHC22015 Certificate II in Community Services
- CUA20113 Certificate II in Dance
- MEM20413 Certificate II in Engineering Pathways
- SIT20316 Certificate II in Hospitality
- ICT20115 Certificate II in Information, Digital Media and Technology
- SIS20115 Certificate II in Sport and Recreation
- CUA20715 Certificate II in Visual Arts – Furniture
- CUA20715 Certificate II in Visual Arts – Arts Focus
In order to complete the requirements of all certificates, students must attend a minimum of 90% of scheduled classes. Students who choose to study this course in Year 11 must continue the course in Year 12.
All certificates have a work-based component where students will be required to demonstrate competency in any given workplace.
A range of learning strategies in a variety of learning environments will be used in order to cater for differences in learning styles, learning interests and needs, and variations in learning opportunities (including online). Students will be provided with further information in the Learning and Assessment Strategy in each course package.
Students participating in VET Courses are required to complete 4 Work Place Learning blocks (2 in Year 11 & 2 in Year 12).
The following paperwork and policies must be followed for students to be permitted to go into the work place:
- Work Place Learning Flow Chart
- ADWPL Policy and Student Contract
- Work Place Learning Statement Brochure
- Work Place Learning Student Handbook
- B1 Student Selection Form
- Work Place Learning Parent Information